Video version of this guide:
There are timestamps in the video fyi.
This guide has a bonus Patreon video coming in the next couple days!
Inside the Patreon bonus video:
- More extra assignment example sheets for the current raid tier bosses like the one above (so you can copy/paste or build off it)
- More spreadsheet templates for your guild setup
- Raidhelper discord tool tutorial (how to use it properly for your discord)
Video will be going live on Patreon in the next few days here:
Guide links and extra notes:
Role you need to fill:
- raid lead
- assignments + key role strats (strats + tanking assigns + healing assigns)
- recruiting (they don’t have to be an officer necessarily – but you always need a recruiter)
- admin (guild bank, sign ups, discord, loot issues, prios, roster changes)
- class leads (optional-ish)
What type of people should be officers:
- high attendance and good ability at class/role (goes without saying)
- recruiter needs to be very social/online a lot but not necessarily an officer type
- admin should have some sort of basic tech ability to handle all the sheets/discord/sign ups etc. etc.
- class leads are more of a knowledge base and don’t need to be officers (but you should have tank/healer leads involved in future strat/assignment discussions when possible)
How many raid days/time is ideal?
For the average semi-hardcore guild 2 days at 4 hours each is a good amount. You want at least 2 days and maybe even a 3rd optional day during progression if possible (can be removed when not doing progression raiding).
4 hours is ideal because it fits your flask timing (2x flask) and it also leaves more time in each raid to do progression/boss fights. Less than 4 hours tends to have awkward amounts of time leftover for raiding.
Ideal roster/group compositions:
This is roughly what an ideal semi-hardcore roster should look like with the group 7 bench being based on what classes you need for availability/roster flexibility (an extra hunter/resto sham/prot pally for example is just really handy to fill in comp dependant fights if someone is away):
These are the basic channels you should have in your discord:
- recruiting area
- sign ups
- tanking / healing / caster dps / melee dps
- class channels
- log channels
- sheets channel (roster/strats/loot prios/dkp/bis list/attendance/loot won/guild bank)
- officer channels (discussing strats/assignments/tank + healer changes etc etc)
How do I do sign ups?
You can get the raid helper bot for your discord here – https://raid-helper.com
I also have a Patreon guide coming up which has sections covering how to use the bot properly for your raid and streamlining the commands/opt ins to not be as messy. You can watch that on the Patreon here:
What you want in your spreadsheet:
- Loot prior/loot won/bis list for each member
There are a lot of things you can add but I’d say these 3 are must haves somewhere in your sheet.
How do I make raid assignment sheets?
You can make them using the raid plan tool here: https://raidplan.io/
What loot systems work best for what?
- Soft res/rolling – good to start but not a long term solution as rng can end up with 1 person winning too much loot and loot not going to the right place
- DKP/EPGP – good for attendance but doesn’t reward performance
- Loot council – best method but requires a very knowledgable loot council team and no corruption (+ loot council members often sacrifice getting some loot to make sure they appear unbiased)
- Wishlist – horrible system for most guilds and mostly only works well in a very hardcore, speedrun style guild with a stable roster and guild focused goals
Some guilds do like to use ‘that’s my bis’ if they do loot council/assigned loot (but you can also use a spreadsheet too if you prefer): https://thatsmybis.com
Raid leading basics (watch video for more detailed explanations):
- Have a set start time and penalize/talk to people who are consistently late to pull/zone in on time
- Assume your guild/members need hand holding for everything (because they usually do)
- Have assignments set up ahead of time and call them out for everyone
Raid leading tools:
- Raid mana monitoring weakaura – https://wago.io/jJ_lqGGhH
- Raid cool downs (battle res/lust etc etc) – https://wago.io/uqKiCX1wC
- Raid target auto marker – https://wago.io/WvTWjRwcu
- Method raid tools (checking buffs/recording attendance and misc raid tools) – https://www.curseforge.com/wow/addons/method-raid-tools
- Lack of fight prep / next phase prep
- No constant recruiting
- No guild help (attunes/catching up raid alts and new members with quests + gear)
- Class vs. class warfare (and player vs player too)
- Unclear loot prio/assignments
- Sudden officer retirements without prep/transition
- Unequal raider effort (guild expectations)