Video version of this guide:
What professions are best for P3?
Same as previous phase – engy is still basically a must have if you care about overall damage at all. Nerfs to battle chicken don’t matter because the value of engineering was always in spamming explosives on multiple mobs.
If rich use these:
- Super Sapper Charge
- Goblin Sapper Charge
- Fel Iron Bomb (these are often better than adamantite grenades because of larger radius)
- (optional) Arcane bombs – they can be swapped in for Fel Iron Bomb and sometimes do slightly more damage + help silence on Hyjal packs (not really required though, so don’t sweat it over having these unless you’re in a speedrun guild)
- (optional) Oil of Immolation – if you really want to bump your Hyjal dps up by a tad
- (optional) Flame Cap – for psychopaths who want to cycle these into their Thistle Tea rotation (honestly really not worth)
All 3 are on separate timers and you can cycle through using super sapper > goblin > fel iron bomb x2 (then back to super sapper again).
If poor use these:
- Fel iron bombs (or dense dynamite if really poor)
The overall dps gain for using +2 sappers vs. just using more grenades/dynamite every 60 seconds isn’t much and if you want to save money then just using grenades alone works just fine. You’re still going to do a ton of extra trash damage using fel iron bombs for everything.
What about holy water?
You can use holy water to substitute for bombs if you don’t have engineering, but farming them is annoying and you should honestly just have engy if you really care about your trash damage anyway.
What about 2nd profession?
Your 2nd profession doesn’t matter much for PvE honestly speaking. Enchanting will be the biggest +dps gain from ring enchants and Jewelcrafting is still okay for the +atk gem, but neither are game changers like engineering.
The exception is if you don’t have a reliable drummer for your group then leatherworking is of course the best profession for you to pick.
What buff consumes should I use?
You will be using the following:
- Food (+20 agi or +20 hit) – ideally +agi for trash and +hit for bosses assuming you gemmed to be roughly hit capped for level 72 mobs
- (for demons) Elixir of Demonslaying – the best offensive battle buff consume for any demon type mobs (only lasts 5 mins though, so bring enough to last)
- (for non demons) Major Agility / Atk Flask – you’ll be swapping in agility or flask when not fighting demon mobs. Technically flask is a minor dps increase over major agility, but most rogues will likely opt for major agility because it’s much cheaper when rotating with demonslaying
- (optional) Swiftness of Zanza – most rogues not speedrunning won’t use a guardian buff, but technically this would be the best guardian buff for +dps if you choose to use one (because run speed is good for uptime on mobs)
What about poisons vs. sharpening stones?
Deadly Poison is still king. There are use cases for sharpening stone if a fight is super short or mechanics stop you from stacking poison, but for the most part deadly poison is still your main offhand poison.
And for those asking – consecrated stones aren’t worth using and are less dps than the regular adamantite sharpening stones.
Mount Hyjal Boss DPS Tips
General note: If you’re not engy and not using bombs non stop during Hyjal waves, then your overall damage is going to be REALLY bad (and honestly rogues aren’t very good on overall here even with bombs included – but we’re even worse if not engy).
For trash – you should be very aware of your 2 min and 5 min CDs. You should use full CDs at wave 1 to get your CDs back up faster, and you should also keep in mind the ‘point of no return’ for 2 min and 5 min CDs (the point where you cannot use CDs or they won’t be back up in time for the boss).
If super sweaty you can use sharpening stones on trash, then swap to deadly poison for the bosses.